Monday, December 14, 2009

You know its cold when.....


The last two mornings this is what we woke up to! Yesterday it was -56C with the windchill and today it is -53C with the windchill! I guess you know its cold when....your natural gas meter freezes!!! Yes ours did! What does that mean? Well....it means we had NO heat yesterday! We were so blessed that Howard came home Saturday night to pick up heaters for his crew at the job site and spent the night at home because, at 4AM I awoke and was freezing! I asked him to see what was wrong as we could see our breath!!! My lovingest husband went to check out the furnace and came up saying some words I will not repeat! He phoned the furnace repair guy, and explained what was going on. The repair guy told Howard to call our natural gas provider immediately as we were the 15th person to call with the same problem ( a frozen regulator valve on our gas meter.) We cranked our oven so we had some heat, and made sure our kids and the extra kids who were having a sleepover were well covered and warm as they still slept, and Howard went out to his office to "raid"there space heaters as we were afraid our pipes would freeze! Our kids woke up and I had them dress in layers and I took them over to our friends house which was cozy and warm and then I ran to the church to "raid"some more space heaters. We are very thankful that Howard was home, we could find some heaters so early on a Sunday morning and that we had friends that would answer the phone so early (I waited until 6AM) and that our pipes didn't freeze. We are also so very thankful for the ATCO Gas guy that came and replaced our meter! I can't imagine working outside in that cold! We finally had heat at 3PM and I will never take for granted the luxury of a warm house again :)

1 comment:

  1. We have the same temperatures here and I am freezing! I feel bad for my poor kids having to go catch the bus, but these Canadian kids are pretty darn tough! I am thankful that the sky is blue and the sun is shining though!

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations