Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Forever Family Day!

What a crazy amazing day! We woke up at about 3:30AM in Beijing and were on the bus at about 5AM. I had butterflies going in my stomach already at that point! Yet felt such a great peace that this is exactly where we were suppose to be.
We arrived in Wuhan around 9:30AM. O.k. they don't call it China's furnace for nothing! It was a cool 22 degrees, however with the humidity and rain it was unlike anything I have ever felt!!! I would not want to be here when the mercury rises above 30 degrees! Our ride from the airport to the hotel took about an hour (we are staying at the White Rose Hotel) I was prepared for Wuhan, as I had read from several other bloggers that it is quite a dirty place....they were right! There is alot of construction going on, you can really tell they are in the middle of a boom! Hotel is magnificent! It is so fancy I almost don't know how to behave! Just kidding! Lets just say I have never stayed somewhere, that they employ someone to press the elevator button for their guests! As much as we love the hotel its really in the centre of the city, we loved walking around Beijing, however here its so busy and crazy (people driving on the wrong side of street against traffic) it will be a challenge to get out and all there is are buildings and malls to see. Not that I'm complaining! Just very different than Beijing.
We arrived at the Civil Affairs office shortly after 3PM and Addison was already there! She was just playing away, happy as a clam! The first thing we noticed was her one arm and near her nose had some major scabs, the orphanage director rushed over to us  before we even had a chance to meet her, and he explained she had gotten chicken pox about 13 days ago. And those scabs were where she had been scratching herself. Poor little thing, so much change and chicken pox on top of it! She is no longer contagious as all the scabs are just that, scabs she has picked at. Addison recognized us immediately from the book we sent her....well she recognized Howard, I don't know if you noticed, but my hair has been really curly since we arrived in China! I usually straighten it, and my picture we sent was me with straight hair. So she kinda thought I looked like the picture! I brought out the cheerios, and she thought they were just o.k. I brought out the stacking cups, with no success, finally I brought out the bubbles....Success! She thought they were great! and even started laughing:) It was long after that the orphanage director and the nannies just up and left! They said good bye to Addison, and she lost it! I went over and picked her up, and she tried to pinch, hit and bite me. Good thing I am made from such tough stock:) I just grabbed her very special favourite blanket from her fosterhome and rocked her and loved her and she cried her little heart out. It was heartbreaking for me, and I had a moment where I almost cried right along with her! However I held it together. We left right away. On the bus she settled down and fell right to sleep. We had to make a pit stop  at the grocery store for the other family travelling with us, and we needed to buy milk for Addie. So stupid!!! So overwhelming!!! I recomend if you have a choice try to get those things before you meet your child! We survived though. Made our way back to the hotel and filled out the necessary paperwork in the lobby, and then we brought our sweet little peanut up to our room. As soon as we walked in she started crying again. I think she sobbed her little heart our for about an hour. Then I tried a bath.....that was just what she needed! Our little Addison came right out of her shell! We played bowling and I tell you that was a hit! The orphanage director sent us home with some of her favourite snacks so we brought those out, and by the time 15 minutes had passed she was already saying "more" when she wanted one! Then probably 3 hours after we met  Addie we were looking in the mirror and she pointed at me and said "Mama" and smiled!!!! I almost lost it:) I am sure I had tears welling up in my eyes as I nodded, smiled and gave her a kiss. Shortly after when Howard stepped out, she kept looking around the room and in a questioning voice saying "Baba?" I am totally amazed! Obviously her foster family has been working on her with the picture book we sent. And for that I will forever be thankful. We had a light dinner and then went to bed early. Addison slept between Howard and I in the bed, and she slept straight through the night!
I have to say what a crazy, amazing, beautiful day it was! Nobody can truly capture what its like in words. We already love her to pieces, and just want whats best for her! She is difinitely my little cling on right now, however she is happy to play with Howard, and will take food from him. So we will work slowly on his and her relationship as the days progress. Right now I am watching both of them asleep in bed and my heart just melts! I am so thankful we chose to adopt from this amazing country! I feel so honored and amazed the God would choose this beautiful little girl for us! She is more special than I could have ever hoped for!


Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!! What a beautiful, precious site! Checking your blog was the very first thing I did at work today.
    :-P

    I wasn't wearing glasses in the picture I sent of me to Clara Rose-- when we met her on Adoption Day she ripped my glasses off and threw them across the room. She then grabbed my nose and tried to rip it off and throw it across the room!

    These little tykes have been through so much confusion and loss-- they have no idea what is going on.

    It sounds like Addison is really opening up to you quickly-- what a joy.

    Thanks for letting me follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an experience like no other. She is adorable! I am glad she is opening up and had such a great foster family to prepare her for the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Been reading some of your blog as we are also Canadian and heading to Hubei to adopt our daughter as well. Addison is adorable! Good tip with the bubbles - we are packing now for Friday! Glad to see you made it and the flooding did not affect your trip. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I am bawling right now! ...what a gift, what an amazing precious girl.

    To God be the glory.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. So amazing!! She is absolutely perfect! I'm so happy for you. Sounds like everything is going perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome! She is just darling. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is soooo BEAUTIFUL..
    CONGRATULATIONS..
    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crying too. What a wonderful start. I am so sad that Addison had to go through the chicken pox and yet so happy the foster family made an effort to help her understand. Talk about a roller coaster! LOL

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations