Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Wuhan

I have to start out by saying that I am trying really hard to love this city that Addie is from....maybe its the endless rain, maybe its the lack of a guide, maybe its the busy beyond imagination streets, but I am finding it really hard! There really isn't much to see in Wuhan city itself, people travel here to take the Yangtze River cruise, Yellow Crane Tower and the Hubei Museum. We asked our guide yesterday if she would take us to both the Yellow Crane Tower and Museum and she said no only one! Really? She has showed us one place to eat....its about  20 minute walk (in pouring rain) and it was more expensive than our hotel, which is expensive by Chinese standards. Once we arrived at this restuarant there was no English or pictures in the menu, and the waitress spoke very little English. I think someone should make a comedic movie of North American adoptive families in China trying to order food or take a taxi etc. Really its quite funny! We ended up with a lovely meal and enough to feed an army! We just had to laugh with the family who is traveling to Hubei with us:)
We decided since we survived that adventure last night, we would take a taxi to the museum on our own and tour it today, as today was another free day. The hotel staff is so abesolutely wonderful! They have bent over backwards to help us, I wish one of these staff members was our guide! It was a very quick taxi ride to the museum, we toured around only the first floor before the kids got restless & tired. We made a quick stop on the way out at the gift store and we bought a special set of bells for our house, its really quite beautiful and will sit on the ledge in our dinning room at home. These bells have significance in Hubei as they were found in the Emporeror Yi's tomb and are the largest musical bell's ever recovered, they also date back to something like 476 B.C. Howard and wanted to find something special to bring back from Addison's province, so we are both very happy with our find! And our first purchase(besides food) in China! We will also have to go and make a quick trip to Carrefour a HUGE supermarket down the road as we are running low on diapers! I am bummed we haven't been able to take many pictures of the area in Wuhan. It is so humid that as soon as you take out the camera the lense fogs up! I will attach one of the only pictures taken outside so you can see how foggy it is! Quite hillarious,really. We are seeing signs of flooding, the Yangtze has is running very high we saw treetops on the edge when we came in, these trees would usually line the banks not be submerged in water! Also many of the sidewalks on the way to the Civil Affairs Office were flooded. We saw one poor lady get soaked head to toe when a bus went by through a huge puddle. I wish I could write more about Wuhan, espically for those of you who are following and will be coming soon, but we really haven't seen much. Maybe I will have a better perspective tomorrow after our one and only tour! Do I sound sarcastic when I right that!?! Maybe we were just spoiled with the worlds best guides in Beijing and were expecting the same here. Ok enough complaining!
On to our sweet little Addison. She had a rough night last night. Was up 4 times in the night and just wanted to be snuggled. This morning she was out of sorts as well, I think she keeps hoping we will bring her back! I must say I am starting to notice the difference between her grieving and her I am throwing a tantrum cries;) She seems to have  two very different personalities one is very outgoing, busy, bossy, cheeky and fun. The other is very timid and clingy....which is probably because she is scared out of her tree! Both Howard and I are interested to see how her true personality blossoms as the days and months go by. She is still my cling on, it seems to be getting worse. I am the comforter and she wants me to do everything for her. We make sure Howard is the one to give her food even though she would really rather I did it, also he is the fun play guy ( whats new right?) And she really does love to play with him! She laughs her little head off:) but will not let him carry her or snuggle or even hold her hand now. She is so proud of the clothes I put on her each morning and loves her PJ's (juts like mom!) She is eating alot but not as much as I was expecting. She loves fruit and noodles! And really likes meat. I love that she has her special soothing blanket, its a huge help. We do not leave the room without it! She seems to feel really safe in the carrier, and really with how crazy the traffic is here I wouldn't want her walking! Once we are in Beijing we will let her out to walk a bit more. One thing we find hard/feel guilty about is, she is speaking very well! And of course we understand very little. She keeps chattering at us and expects us to answer! She is said "thank you" and "pretty" today in English so we will keep talking in English to her about everything and anything. Howard hopes to find someone at home that can help her with her Mandarin as we would really hate for her to lose her language!We are both head over heels in love with her and are looking forward to our return to Beijing and adventually home! Oh and thanks for all the lovely comments and emails! I am receiving them to my email and will be able to publish them when I get home:) Also I just posted a quick video of Addison and Howard playing on our shutterfly site hopefully it worked! www.khmervyn.shutterfly.com


Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    It sounds like you are doing a good job of maintaining a happy perspective despite having a not-so-great-guide. Having that cute little snuggle bug holding on to you makes up for a lot doesn't it?
    :-D

    Our first was a cling-on to me-- not wanting anything to do with Daddy. I would hold her and sit on his lap-- play crawling games with her following me and would crawl closer and closer to DH. Things like that. She will come around!

    The humidity looks frightful, but I would have loved a chance to see the Yangtze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a beautiful girl and I am glad to see her smiling. I wish you were having a better time and had a better guide! See as much as you can while you are there, you won't regret it!

    Get your hubby to offer her the things that she wants, ice cream, snacks, baths, playing with toys, etc. Let him be the fun one and she will warm up to him. It just takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you let Y. know about the guide when you see her back in Beijing. She'll want to know your impressions for sure. Glad you guys are getting out and about. That was our favourite part - our own adventures. :) Addison has a very beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter looks so cuddly and comfortable in your carrier! You all look so happy! What a blessing she is and your family is for bringing her into your family. :o) We also have 2 biological sons, and felt a strong calling many years ago to one day adopt from China - so here we are!
    That's too bad your guide isn't very helpful - hopefully we don't have the same one!!! Tell me her name isn't Wendy!!!
    Thanks for the update on Wuhan - I see it's really raining hard there! I was wondering if it was easy and inexpensive to buy an umbrella there rather than bringing one. Our suitcases are completely jam packed already!
    If you're interested, you can follow us on our blog - I've made private. Still thinking of making it public but would have to make some adjustments. Our email is kenteena@yahoo.com. (please don't post this comment though as it has my email address!)
    Hope you have a nice tour this time...hopefully you can see something through all that fog!!
    Blessings,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Enjoy that ONE trip!! Haha! Seriously though, that is terrible and I can see why you are having a hard time with the city. I mean if my camera lens fogged up all the time I'd probably die, because you know me...pretty attached to my camera for sure!! ;)

    Your little girly is so sweet and beautiful. I'm praying for her. I know exactly what you mean about her getting worse and more clingy to you. That happened us exactly to the point where I couldn't take a shower without her screming the hotel down, and yes, I took a shower anyway!! And she would go mad if Colin touched her. It was hard, I think it is because I did everything for her: feeding, rocking to sleep, waking up in the night, you know? I couldn't even sit by Colin to fly from Guangdong to Beijing - she screamed blue murder and I had to find another seat. Anyway, she DID have a turning point about 9 days into our trip... And then when we came back to canada, she wouldn't look at me for a few days and was mad at me. I guess she had to take out her frustration on each of us individually. We both got to share that and it was tough for each of us, even though we were prepared for it.

    I'm praying for you all.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is to bad your guide was not more helpful.. We ate at two restaurants while in Wuhan both were ones our guide Cathy took us to and she did all the ordering.. I loved the food and thought it was priced very well. I cant remember the names, one was more like a cafeteria setting and the other one was where we were ushered into an elevator and into a private room.. was kinda dingy looking to our standards but the food and the service was wonderful.. Yellow crane tower is well worth the visit! you will have a beautiful view..
    Another spot to visit if you want a real feeling of what Wuhan life is like is to go to the market..was crazy!!..but you are right besides the tower and the Museum ( which was nice ) not to much to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also stayed at the White Rose! and found the staff so nice..though there was some loud construction outside... Thankfully our window faced the army barracks..so really only noise was the army calls a few times a day! .. Feel free to check out my blog

    http://threewoods-heather.blogspot.com/

    as well as my travel mates

    http://www.smokeysister.blogspot.com/

    we ere in Wuhan in APril

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations